Ants Climbing Trees

What a great name !

This is a staple Sichuan recipe. It was one of the first I cooked from the Food of China cook book (easily my most bashed up cookbook!). I chose it then for the name...but my current obsession with Sichuan led me here again. I checked for the recipe in the Fuschia Dunlop book - and yep it's there...but I decided to stick with the FoC recipe for nostalgic reasons (god I'm sad!). (They weren't too different anyway)

So...a few picks...

Hello Boys !



Just as I suspected...Bead Thread Noodles are also Vermicelli....



I decided to use up some whole bamboo shoot. Buying it this way is far far better than tinned slices



And here it is. It's called Ants Climbing Trees cause when you pick up the noodles in your chop sticks, the little bits of pork are supposed to look like ant's climing trees !





This was sweet and sour bamboo shoots. The sourness was from Black Rice Vinegar, and the sweetness from bags of sugar. The original recipe was with chinese lettuce. Should have sticked with that - and left the bamboo shoots for a stir fry!



Can you see 'em climbing ?

Comments