Macha Jhol - Wet Fish Curry

I'd watched Rick Stein cook this on his excellent Far Eastern Odyssey series, and I'd been itching to cook it. I'd liked the series because I thought he chose some quite interesting dishes - this one included, as it had a strange combination of fish, aubergine and lentils.



The Panch phoran spice mixture. Kept whole in this dish.



The cod got a dusting of turmeric and then a browning fry





...as did the pots



This is what I really liked - adding the lentils to the spice mix for a fry





And low the finished dish. It was lovely. As the man said, it was quite wet, as in a lot of liquid, and at first it didn't have the punch of a normal gravy style curry. However, the individual spices worked well, and gave little flavor burst - and I ended up loving it.

Comments