Salt Beef

So on a whim I bought this book...Charcuterie...after it appeared on some list of "Cookery Books you must own". It is a great book - although let down (like so many of my american books) with no pictures. However, I'd made some bacon from it which was lovely, so the next level up was some salt beef (which the Americans refer to as Corn Beef - oh how I laughed).

So it all starts with a brine....







And after 5 days it looks - well...quite revolting actually.



However, stage 2 transformed it. A slow 3 hour simmer. I was worried it might dry out the brisket...but....



not at all....pink, moist, tender and well...fantastic...



Served up with some Gherkins, the onion and carrot from the poaching liquid...and some horseradish mash. A superb Sunday evening meal.



But oh so much better was my lunch the next day.....



So good - I made another one for my evening meal...



Which gave me a damn good excuse to crack one of these....

Comments