Chinese Bacon with Bamboo Shoots

At lunch one day last week and I was shopping in China Town. I'd seen the packets of Chinese bacon many times before - but never purchased. Why not I thought.

When I got back...I turned to the bible of Chinese cooking...



As luck would have it, I'd also bought some bamboo shoots. Unfortunately not fresh - but I think they are pretty good anyway




The Chinese bacon comes up shrink wrapped. I didn't know what to expect.




Apparently it's been made into bacon via a slow cure with soy, sugar and various chinese spices.



You have to steam it for 20 minutes...and it ends up like this. It is absolutely superb.....almost a sweet and sour, Chinese crispy duck type of effect.



Thinly sliced and simply stir fried with sliced bamboo shoots, chilli and a splash of soy.





A fantastic meal

Comments