BIR Chicken Dhansak

I've already waxed lyrical about the joys of being able to recreate BIR (British Indian Restaurant) meals.

So when I got this book for Xmas I was very happy.  It's a quality book - well produced, great photos etc., and so it needed to be tried out.

Now the thing about BIR currys are that they do in fact take quite a bit of time - well at least in the prep, including most importantly the base sauce. Once you've got everything prepped up then you can actually assemble them quite quickly.....this was pulled together in about 20 minutes...but, as you see I'd already got the base sauce, the precooked meat, the lentils etc.

And yep - a can of pineapple chunks. Hey - why not - this isn't about 3 star Michelin cooking - this is about recreating the restaurant food I love.


I've bought a few cast iron pans recently - and they are superb for a fast hot fry. Plenty of scraping of the metal spoon - adds atmosphere to the kitchen.


After adding the base sauce. I could have stopped here and ate that lot !


Added the cooked chicken, lentils and the pineapple.


A superb meal......Check out Dan's youtube page


Comments