Jamaican Baked Chicken with Rice and Peas

I was lucky enough to work in Jamaica for 6 months a few years ago. It was a fantastic experience, and I fell in love with the food. It's nothing fancy, but scratch the surface, and try the local dishes and it certainly grows on you. From cow's head soup, to goat curry, and to beef and cheese patties - all good. Nothing, but nothing, can beat stopping off on the way home at some roadside shack for a plate of fresh jerk chicken. Unbelievable !

I'd watched an episode of Anthony Boudain who was in Jamaica - and I simply had to eat it again. I picked up a old cookbook I'd bought out there - and this one caught my eye - mainly cause I love evaporated milk!



Which was mixed with tomato ketchup...!



I've had a can of Gunga beans in the store cupboard for some time now. They can be used in "Rice and Peas" (and so they were)



The cooking liquid for the rice and peas - coconut milk & spring o's amongst other things



The chicken thighs were marinaded in the evaporated milk and tommy k mixture & drenched in breadcrumbs



Lovely - moist and crisp and very bad for you !



You can't beat a plate of rice and peas

Comments